News Source : 22 November 2018 (PTI) NEW DELHI
- 400 districts to have city gas in 2-3 years: PM Narendra Modi ,Unveiling his vision for transforming India into a gas-based economy, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Thursday said the government will more than double city gas networks to 400 districts, quadruple piped cooking gas connections to households to 2 crore and also set up 10,000 CNG dispensing stations.
- Mr. Modi said the push towards a gas-based economy where the share of environment-friendly fuel in the energy basket will be increased from 6.2 per cent to 15 per cent by 2030, will create lakhs of jobs and help meet India’s COP-21 (Climate Change Conference) commitment of cutting emission intensity by 33-35 per cent.
- When the BJP-led NDA government came to power in 2014, only 66 districts were covered by city gas distribution (CGD) networks. “Today when I am speaking to you, city gas project work is on in 174 districts. In 2-3 years, more than 400 districts will be in its ambit”.
- At least 3 lakh youth will get employment in the (recently concluded) 9th round of bidding (for city gas licenses),” he said
- Besides, 12 modern bio-refineries to convert biomass into fuel are being set up at an investment of Rs 10,000 crore, he said, adding blending of sugarcane-extracted ethanol in petrol has jumped four times since 2014 and the target is to take the doping to around 10 per cent level from current 3-4 per cent.
- The government is also targeting generation of 175 GW of electricity from renewable sources by 2022.