Most wastes that are generated find their way into land and water bodies without proper treatment, causing severe water and air pollution. The problems caused by solid wastes can be significantly mitigated through the adoption of environment-friendly waste to energy technologies that will allow treatment and processing of wastes before or after their disposal.
Waste to energy generates clean, reliable energy from a renewable fuel source, thus reducing dependence on fossil fuels, the combustion of which is a major contributor to GHG (Green House Gas) emissions.
These measures would reduce the quantity of wastes, generate a substantial quantity of energy from them, and greatly reduce pollution of water and air, thereby offering a number of social and economic benefits that cannot easily be quantified.
In addition to energy generation, waste-to-energy can fetch significant monetary benefits. Some of the strategic and financial benefits from waste-to-energy business are:
- Profitability – If the right technology is employed with optimal processes and all components of waste are used to derive value, waste to energy could be a profitable business.
- Government Incentives – The government of India already provides significant incentives for waste to energy projects, in the form of capital subsidies and feed in tariffs.
- Related Opportunities – Success in municipal solid waste management could lead to opportunities in other waste such as sewage waste, industrial waste and hazardous waste. By technology used for energy recovery, eco-friendly and “green” co-products such as charcoal, compost, nutrient rich digestive (a fertilizer) or bio-oil can be obtained.
- Emerging Opportunities – With distributed waste management and waste to energy becoming important priorities, opportunities exist for companies to provide support services like turnkey solutions. In addition, waste to energy opportunities exist not just in India but all over the world. Thus, there could be significant international expansion possibilities for Indian companies, especially expansion into other Asian countries.
INDIAN GOVERNMENT POLICIES & FUNDING SUPPORTS
GOVERNMENT SUPPORT FOR MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE TO ENERGY PROJECTS:
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) offers financial incentives to a proponent who plans to set up a waste-to-energy project as per the prevailing policies of the ministry.
The incentives are given to both private as well as public sector entrepreneurs and investors having technical and managerial capabilities. Ministry of Non-conventional Energy Source (MNES) gets the detailed project reports appraised by the financial institutions to ensure that the project is feasible, viable and sustainable.
INDIAN GOVERNMENT FUNDING SUPPORT FOR WASTE TO ENERGY PROJECTS AND ARE LISTED BELOW:
- Financial assistance is provided by way of interest subsidy for commercial projects
- Financial assistance is provided on the capital cost for demonstration projects that are innovative in terms of generation of power from municipal/ industrial wastes
- Financial assistance is provided for power generation in STPs
- Financial incentives are given to municipal corporations for supplying garbage free of cost at the project site for providing land.
- Incentives are given to the state nodal agencies for promotion, co-ordination and monitoring of such projects.
- Financial assistance is given for carrying out studies on waste to energy projects, covering full costs of such studies.
- Assistance is given in terms of training courses, workshops and seminars and awareness generation.